You don’t have to be a constant night owl to appreciate NYC’s nightlife. The Big Apple for the most part is one of the few cities in America where the last call, also known as the time they are required by the law to stop serving alcohol, is 4AM. Let us fill you in on all the best night activities available to you in the Big Apple.
(Photo via Brooklyn Winery)
1. Staff Pick: Brooklyn Winery [Williamsburg]
Even if you are not a wine snob you can enjoy a night at the Brooklyn Winery because the staff here is very helpful, approachable, and friendly.
2. La Compagnie des Vins Surnaturels [Soho]
3. Aldo Sohm Wine Bar [Midtown]
4. City winery [Soho]
5. Pearl & Ash [Nolita]
Rock or Rock ‘n’ Roll clubs
1. Staff Pick: Rockwood Music Hall [East Village]
This is an intimate venue that’s also great for catching some of NYC’s most talented or up and coming rock singers.
2. Hard Rock Café [Times Square]
3. Bowery Ballroom [Lower East Side]
4. Mercury Lounge [Chelsea]
5. The Rock Shop [Park Slope]
1. Staff Pick: The Cityfox Experience [Various Location]
Ever wanted to experience a dance club without actually being in a nightclub? This underground party, organized in Brooklyn, invites patrons to dance in many random but fantastic locations throughout the Big Apple.
2. ZERO Party [Various Location]
3. Blkmarket Membership [Various Location]
4. ReSolute [Various Location]
5. Sheik ‘n’ Beik [Various Location]
Live Music & Concerts
1. Staff Pick: Le Poisson rouge [West Village]
LPR is a must for anyone who is into music or interested in live music of all genres. What makes this place stands out is the fact that they also embrace contemporary art.
2. Terminal 5 [Midtown west]
3. Café Wha? [Greenwich Village]
4. Apollo Theater [Harlem]
5. Shea Stadium BK [East Williamsburg]
Burlesque & Drag Clubs
1. Staff Pick: Nurse Bettie [East Village]
Nurse Bettie is where you go for pin up themed burlesque shows and really well made cocktails.
2. The Slipper Room [East Village]
3. Duane Park [East Village]
4. The Box – Theatre of varieties [East Village]
5. Le Scandal [Hell’s Kitchen]
(Photo via The Carlyle Hotel)
1. Staff Pick: Café Carlyle [Upper East Side]
Cafe Carlyle is where you go for an evening filled with great performances, tasty drinks, yummy food and exceptionally good service.
2. Studio 54 Theatre [Midtown]
3. The Metropolitan Room [Flatiron District]
4. The Duplex [West Village]
5. La Soiree [Union Square]
Ladies Night Out
1. Staff Pick: Beauty Bar [Lower East Side]
How about some cocktails while you are getting a manicure? Or you can dance the night away to some old-school tunes.
2. Beauty & Essex [East Village]
3. Tijuana Picnic [East Village]
4. Juvenex Spa NYC [Open 24/7]
5. Hunk-O-Mania [Hell’s Kitchen]
Cigar / Hookah Bars
1. Staff Pick: Club Macanudo [Cigar Bar – Upper East Side]
Once a private club, this cigar bar is one of the most sophisticated in NYC; Additionally, the food, the drink and the décor are all reasons to go for a smoke in an elegant surrounding. But be sure to follow their dress code so you can actually get in.
2. Grand Havana Room New York [Cigar bar – Midtown East]
3. Beekman Bar & Books [Cigar bar – Midtown East]
4. Horus Too [Hookah – Hell’s Kitchen]
5. Tagine [Hookah – Midtown West]
6. Karma [Hookah – East Village]
After Work Spots
1. Staff Pick: The Press Lounge [Hell’s Kitchen]
Located a few blocks away from Times Square, the drinks at this rooftop bar and its very stunning views of the City will take your breath away.
2. 40/40 Club [Flatiron District]
3. 230 Fifth Avenue [NoMad]
4. Employees only [West Village]
5. Qi Restaurant [Hell’s Kitchen]
For Bowling / Billiard and Pool Games
1. Staff Pick: Frame Bowling Lounge [Hell’s Kitchen]
If you are looking for a fun place to kill time near Times Square or an adult gaming bar with neon lights, Frames is the place to go.
2. Amsterdam Billiards [East Village]
3. Break Bar and Billiards [Union Square]
4. The Gutter | [Williamsburg]
5. Bowlmor | [Chelsea Piers]
(Photo via Frames NYC)
Gay Night out
1. Staff Pick: Therapy lounge [Hell’s Kitchen]
The décor at Therapy is stylish yet the atmosphere is very friendly. This popular lounge can get crowded quickly but with two floors, it’s still a good option for groups.
1. Industry Bar [Hell’s Kitchen]
3. XL Nightclub [Hell’s Kitchen]
4. G Lounge [Chelsea]
5. Escualita [Hell’s Kitchen]
6. Eagle Bar NYC [Chelsea]
1. Staff Pick: Stonewall Inn [Greenwich Village]
Besides being a historical landmark, the Stonewall Inn is a must-see place for anyone who is familiar with the LGBT rights movement in NYC.
2. Cubby Hole [West Village]
3. Henrietta Hudson [West Village]
4. Ginger’s Bar [Park Slope]
Sake & Soju Bars
1. Staff Pick: Sake Bar Hagi [Midtown]
This is a great place to chow down on great Japanese food but it’s also a fun place to hang out and drink sake, and this bar offer a large assortment of it.
2. Pocha 32 [Koreatown]
3. Soju Haus [Koreatown]
4. Shigure [East Village]
5. SakaMai [East Village]
1. Staff Pick: Cielo Nightclub [Meatpacking District]
Ready to dance the night away? Go to Cielo for a night of Electronic and House music with great sound systems.
2. Webster hall [Union Square]
3. Le Bain (at the Standard Hotel) [Meatpacking District]
4. Marquee [Chelsea]
5. Space Ibiza [Hell’s Kitchen]
6. Hudson Terrace [Hell’s Kitchen]
1. Staff Pick: Comedy Cellar [Greenwich Village]
To get a real taste of New Yorkers’ sense of humor or New York City’s Comedy scene head to Comedy Cellar to LOL!
2. Upright Citizens Brigade Theatre
3. Carolines on Broadway [Midtown West]
4. Gotham Comedy Club [Chelsea]
5. Laughing Buddha Comedy [East Village]
6. Dangefield’s Comedy Club [UES]
1. Staff Pick: Havana Central [Times Square]
For delicious Cuban food with a live band playing great music and impromptu dancing, Havana Central is where you want to be.
2. Amor Cubano [East Harlem]
3. Copacabana [Midtown]
4. Iguana NYC [Midtown West]
5. Club Cache [Hell’s Kitchen]
(Photo via Havana Central NYC)
Bars with Fireplace
1. Staff Pick: Art Bar [West Village]
From the outside, you will never guess that this bar in the west village has a fireplace with couches, cool people, and some wild artworks on its wall.
2. The Bowery Hotel Bar [East Village]
3. Bar 21 and Lounge (inside the 21 Club) [Midtown]
4. Shoolbred’s [Lower East Side]
5. Lexington Bar & Books [Upper East Side]
1. Staff Pick: 5 Bar Karaoke Lounge [Midtown]
This Koreatown lounge has a fun atmosphere with private Karaoke rooms that you can rent out hourly. Also, the well-designed space is awesome for taking really cool Instagram pictures. They even have a NYC themed karaoke room!
2. Karaoke Duet 35 [Midtown]
3. Karaoke One 7 [Union Square]
4. The spot Karaoke & Lounge [Midtown]
5. Biny [Soho]
Night spots with Games / Activities
Staff Pick: Dave & Buster’s [Times Square]
You can eat, drink and play video in this family-friendly gaming center. This place in the heart of Times Square has several types of video games to keep in there for hours.
2. Royal Palms ShuffleBoard Club
3. Full Circle Bar [Williamsburg]
4. Fat cat (Live music, Pool, Ping Pong and more.) [West Village]
5. Barcade [Various Location]
6. Union Hall (Bocce) [North Slope]
7. Ace bar [Alphabet City]
NYC Night Tours with Harlem Spirituals
1. Staff Pick: Dinner Cruise with Live Jazz Music
Would you like to explore Gotham at night for a change? We’ve got you covered with fun activities and tours that you can join at night!
2. New York at night guided Bike Tour
3. Statue by Night Cruise
4. Clipper City Harbor Lights Sails
5. Shearwater City Lights Sailing
Unique Nightlife Experience
Staff Pick: Quiet Clubbing [Party with headphones on – Various Locations]
This headphones party actually allows its attendees to switch the tunes while dancing the crowd. So you can party with your friends as you listen to the DJ of your choice!
2. Queen of the Night (Music Show) – [Midtown]
3. Camaje – Dinner in the dark (blindfolded-dining) – [West Village]
4. Jekyll & Hyde (Spooky theme) – [West Village]
5. Reunion NYC [Hell’s Kitchen]
Upscale nightclubs / Celebrity sighting night out
1. Staff Pick: PHD Rooftop Lounge [Meatpacking District]
Everything at PHD rooftop Lounge is beautiful including the views. It even made our list of Best Rooftop Bars in NYC.
2. Provocateur [Meatpacking District]
3. Catch Rooftop [Meatpacking District]
4. VIP Room [Meatpacking District]
5. 1 OAK [Chelsea]
6. Boom Boom Room [Meatpacking District]
All-season Rooftop lounges
1. Staff Pick: Top of the Strand
This friendly rooftop lounge at the Strand Hotel comes with dramatic views of the city, delicious cocktails and a retractable roof for chilly nights.
2. The Skylark [Midtown]
3. Refinery Rooftop [Midtown]
4. Penthouse 808 [Long Island City]
5. The Ides [Williamsburg]
Jazz Night out
1. Staff Pick: Soul Food and Jazz Tour with us!
Because why not explore Harlem at night with great music and soul food. We will even pick up the tab for your first two drinks at the Jazz club!
2. Jazz at Lincoln Center [Upper West Side]
3. Dinner Cruise with Live Jazz Music
4. B.B. King Blues Club & Grill [Times Square]
5. Village Vanguard [Greenwich Village]
1. Staff Pick: Fuerza Bruta [Gramercy Park]
If you love live shows where they interact with the audience during the spectacle then Fuerza Bruta is where you want to go. Beware that the spectators can get wet during their water performance.
2. NiteHawk Cinema [Williamsbug]
3. Gallow Green [Chelsea]
4. Museum of Sex [Kips Bay]
5. Sleep No More [Chelsea]
Whether you’d rather sip a Manhattan from the 65th floor of a swanky bar or dance till 4 a.m. on a Tuesday night, NYC is the right city to do anything that your heart desires. So go ahead, the night is yours, choose your kind of night and go have a blast! But before you go… let us know: what do you love the most about the Big Apple’s nightlife?